break so far has been glorious. my days consist of:
- lots of baking/cooking
- $30 sushi lunches (because the birthday girl NEEDED another worthless toy, and you can only get toys every 15 plates of sushi, and i couldn’t convince her sigh)
- last minute disney trip contemplations (but i ended up not bc i’m in socal 3/4 of the time anyways, so why should i go back down when i’m finally home?)
- working out (shocking bc i haven’t worked out this much in a whileeee)
- being extremely grateful that i can drive places instead of relying on slow, late and packed buses (it’s great being able to go on a 20 minute target run, instead of a 2 hour one)
- thinking maybe i should balance the coconut espresso cake, yaki manju, macadamia nut shortbread and chocolate peanut butter cupcakes with something a bit healthier, like this herby rice with grapes and pecans
this herby rice with grapes and pecans has a bunch of different flavors and textures, like all my favorite salads. there’s the slight chew from the rice, juicy crisp grapes, freshness from the herbs, crunchy nuts, a touch of heat from the hot sauce (my preferred hot sauce is chili garlic sauce though i did use sambal olek in the batch pictured here), and creamy briny feta (not pictured here but delicious with this nonetheless). perfect for make ahead lunches, perfect for a potluck side dish.
Herby Rice with Grapes and Pecans
adapted slightly from Mollie Katzen’s The Heart of the Plate
1-2 cloves minced garlic
finely grated zest from 1 lemon
6 T lemon juice
1 T maple syrup or honey or agave
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
hot sauce (ie sambal olek, chili garlic sauce) to taste (optional)
2 cups rice, cooked
6 green onions, finely chopped
1/2 cup parsley leaves, finely chopped (sub in cilantro or basil, or omit if you don’t like parsley)
1/4 cup mint leaves, finely chopped
2 cups grapes, halved
1/4 cup feta, crumbled
1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted (or walnuts, almonds, cashews, etc)
- Whisk the garlic, lemon zest and juice and syrup in a large bowl. Whisk in oil and hot sauce, if using.
- Add the rice, herbs, grapes and feta, stirring gently until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover tightly and chill well before serving. Serve at room temperature. Stir in the nuts right before serving.