my new goal is to treat my body like a temple during the week, and then i can mess around on the weekends. when i go out on adventures, i have no control. but i also don’t see the point in curbing those impulses (t-4 months til graduating ahhhhh), so balance is key.
on the menu recently in accordance with this initiative:
- greek yogurt + peanut butter + defrosted berries + toasted oats + coconut
- miso soup + napa cabbage sauteed in ginger + 2 eggs swirled in
- couscous + kale + 88 cent blueberries (they were cheap for a reason sigh) + chickpeas + pumpkin seeds + olives + cinnamon (tagine vibes!) + olive oil + soy sauce
- ridiculous amounts of tea (i have 5 kinds of tea in my house to make sure i don’t get bored)
- blondies (but these were for a friend and i only ate 2 of them so not too bad???)
- this garlicky yogurt dip with herb jam and toasted almonds
do you like spinach dip? (that’s redundant, of course you do). well, perfect, because this garlicky yogurt dip with herb jam and toasted almonds is its older, classier self. it’s creamy and yogurt-y and herb-y. it’s slightly spice-y from the cumin, crunchy from the almonds and fruity from the slight slick of oil drizzled on at the end. yas yas yas. even if your lemon is too much of an old man to extract any appreciable amount of zest, i can guarantee that this dip will still be delicious.
1 year ago: spicy pan-fried tofu rice bowl, banana cake with banana nutella swirl buttercream
2 years ago: squash carbonara with pancetta and sage, pecan chocolate espresso coffee cake
3 years ago: aunty m’s thai shrimp curry, procrastination thursday
4 years ago: banana granola, sakamoto namul (marinated bean sprouts)
Garlicky Yogurt Dip with Herb Jam and Toasted Almonds
- 1/2 cup dried California apricots
- 2 T skin-on almonds
- 6 oz mixed tender greens and herbs about 10 cups, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- extra virgin olive oil and crudités for serving
Place the apricots in a small bowl and add hot water to cover. Let stand until soft, then finely chop the apricots.
Toast the almonds in a dry large skillet over medium heat, tossing often, until slightly darkened and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Let cool, then coarsely chop.
Over medium-low heat, heat some oil in the same skillet. Cook the greens, stirring often, until greens release most of their moisture and darken slightly, 5–7 minutes. Stir in the cumin and garlic. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds; season with salt. Remove from heat and let cool.
Mix the yogurt, lemon zest and juice, and apricots in a medium bowl; season with salt. Swirl in the herb jam and top with almonds and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve with crudités.
Adapted slightly from Andy Baraghani from Bon Appetit, December 2016.
You can use whatever kind of greens you want (ie chard, spinach, kale, tarragon/celery/mint/parsley/cilantro/oregano leaves). I did beet greens, basil and green onions here.
Serve with whatever you'd like! I used carrots, cucumbers, celery, tomatoes, toasted bread and bacon (the bacon was spur of the moment, but delicious).
Calorie count is solely for the dip.